Monday, September 20, 2010

Setting up on new property




Last week I went and pulled my cameras off of public land. Bow season will be here before you know it and I did not feel comfortable leaving the cameras out there this close to season. When I pulled the Spypoint IR-6 I had over 400 photos of deer and bear in the two weeks it had been on that tree. Needless to say I was stoked.

So I was more then a little down today when I went and checked the cameras on a new piece of private property I have permission to hunt. Instead of 400 or even 200 photos I had around 50 or so on four cameras! Luckily one cow horn spike who happens to have a kicker was gracious enough to give me some shots on several cameras.

Setting up on a new piece of property can be a real chore. You have to figure out where the deer are and where they want to be. You need to find an area that they will stop to feed or stage in to get plenty of photos. I chose poorly this time and got almost as many cow pictures as deer pictures. Granted two weeks ago I had almost 500 cow pictures on this new property so I am doing better.

Today I moved my cameras around again and feel much better. This property does not have any type of food plots and very little grazing grass. The woods are full of acorns, hickories, apples and grapes. Deer are not feeling the need to move as much since food is everywhere this year. Instead I focused on water. I found a nice little sink hole littered with acorns and fresh deer sign. Now the hard part will be waiting until Friday or Saturday to check the camera to see if my plan worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment